Thursday, May 22, 2008

John McCain on Ellen

Photobucket
So John McCain went on Ellen, and the topic led to his belief on same sex couples and the rights that they are entitled to. Here's a little of how it went down:
McCain: “I just believe the unique status of marriage between and man and a woman. And I know that we have a respectful disagreement on that issue.”


Ellen: Mmm-hmm…yeah, I mean, I think that it is looked at — and some people are saying the same — that blacks and women did not have the right to vote. I mean, women just got the right to vote in 1920. Blacks didn’t have the right to vote until 1870 and it just feels like there’s this old way of thinking that we are not all the same. We are all the same people, all of us. You’re no different than I am. Our love is the same…When someone says, ‘You can have a contract, and you’ll still have insurance, and you’ll get all that,’ it sounds to me like saying, ‘Well, you can sit there, you just can’t sit there.’…It feels like we are not, you know, we aren’t owed the same things and the same wording.”

McCain: “Well, I’ve heard you articulate that position in a very eloquent fashion. We just have a disagreement. And I, along with many, many others, wish you every happiness.”

Ellen: “So, you’ll walk me down the aisle? Is that what you’re saying?”

McCain: “Touche.”


What Ellen said about gay rights being denied in the same manner that blacks and women were denied their rights is exactly, I mean exactly how I feel about this issue and why I feel that it is so very important. It's a matter of civil rights, and people being treated as equal members of society. It's "Liberty and Justice for ALL", not "Liberty and Justice for some, who will be determined over time by the moral majority or whatever." I don't even see how, looking back on the injustices of the past, we can even question giving gays the same rights. And many people have been like "Oh well, you're married, so what do you care?" What do I care? Why shouldn't I fucking care? Because it doesn't affect me than oh well? Can you imagine if it was only blacks fighting for their civil rights? Only women fighting for their liberation? Yes, they did make up the majorty, but it takes a real asshole to sit back and be like "oh well! Not about me! Whatever!" I don't like to get political because people's beliefs are their own. But this is a matter of common decency. And electing this dumbass would be regression to the progress this country is starting to make. As a woman, I could never imagine being told I could not have equal rights. So I can only urge others to not stand by and let some damn fool tell others because they were not born the same way that he was (like that's an accomplishment) they are not entitled to the same rights and liberties. No McCain! I beg of you!
Source

0 comments:

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet