Saturday, January 31, 2009

Aretha Has Made Fashion History

Photobucket
It was announced earlier that the Jason Wu gown that Michelle Obama wore to the innaugural ball will be immortalized in the Smithsonian. Now Aretha Franklin may be getting her own spot in fashion history. The museum has asked the diva if she would donate her now famous Luke Song bow hat that she wore for the historical occasion. However, Aretha says she's going to have to think about it. “I am considering it. It would be hard to part with my chapeau since it was such a crowning moment in history,” says the Queen of Soul. “I would like to smile every time I look back at it and remember what a great moment it was in American and African-American history. Ten cheers for President Obama.” Aretha’s hat has already inspired a line of toppers, recreating her custom version in different colors and bow size. If Franklin decides to donate the hat to the museum, it will become part of an exhibit of President Obama’s Inaugural display along with Michelle’s gown.
Now I can understand wanting to hold on to a special piece of history, but doesn't Aretha want to make the thousands of people who visit the Smithsonian every year giggle just a bit? I mean, I practically grew up in the museums in D.C., and I can tell you those places are lacking a little hilarity. Therefore I would be in favor of not only donating that hat, but creating an entire wing devoted to it. You must give it the respect it deserves! That being said, I can't wait to see what else they're going to collect from the historic day. A used tissue of Obama's? Beyonce's tampon? Some of the air in a jar? Do tell!

1 comments:

ChicChickory said...

Hey, I got a couple metro ticket stubs with Obama's face on it. Could be one more thing to collect dust in the Smithsonian, don'tcha think? Or better yet! I should donate my "Rock Out with your Barack Out!" tee-shirt to the museum. Talk about some Shits and Giggles galore!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet