Thursday, February 12, 2009

Asian Woman Sues Miley Cyrus for 4 Billion

Photobucket
A Los Angeles woman named Lucie J. Kim has filed a class action law suit against Miley Cyrus claiming that she made fum of Asians in the photo above. Her asking price for damages? 4 billion dollars. That's right, I said billion. Kim claims to represent more than 1 million Asian Pacific Islanders who live in L.A. County. Kim claims when Cyrus posed for the photo, she "knew or should have known that her image would be publicly disseminated via the media, which Cyrus knew focused on her private life, specifically TMZ."
Kim says in the suit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, that each Asian Pacific Islander is entitled to the minimum damages for a civil rights violation -- $4,000. Add it up -- $4 billion! Kim also says Miley's "just a kid" defense doesn't fly. She says it's like Paris Hilton claiming to be just a kid. You know, except for the fact that Hilton is 28 and Miley is 16. Whic is almost half as old. But whatever.
Personally I think this is craziness. Suing a 16 year old because what? You see this as an opportunity to cash in? This country has gone completely off the rail when it comes to lawsuits. Flooding the judicial system with petty complaints because they want to find an easier way to make money. Believe me, I am not saying it is right to make fun of someone for like this, but what is suing going to do? Make her feel badly for what she's done? Teach her never to do it again? Maybe it's just me, but if someone where making fun of white women (which a lot of people in fact do in movies and television), I sure as shit wouldn't go sue them. I have more things in my life to worry about then someone I don't know making a non-malicious comment (or in this case, gesture) about me or my gender/race. After all, the world is filled with ignorant morons. Can you imagine if we sued them all?
But enough about me-what do you guys think? Does this woman have a right to sue? And more importantly, does she have a right to sue on behalf of the entire Asian population in her area that didn't ask to be spoken for?

7 comments:

Suburbia Steph said...

What a joke!

Funny how the Asian dude in this photo has the roundest eyes out of all of them! LOL.....maybe she was just trying to see what she'd look like if she got a face lift....

If it were Margaret Cho making fun of Asians (which she DOES), then I guess that would make it OK....DUMB! This bitch should be sued for wasting the legal system's time! Just someone else trying to get their 15 minutes, is all this is....

Mrs. M. said...

OMG Margaret Cho actually wrote a poem about this on her website. She was really pissed that Miley was making fun. I guess it's one of those "I can make jokes but you can't" kind of things. Personally anyone can go ahead and call me a honkey ass cracker. idrc.

Suburbia Steph said...

Yeah, actually after I posted that comment I saw Cho's "song".....

I don't care if someone calls me a Mick, Wop, etc. or any other sterotype that describes my heritage. I don't take offense. It actually makes me laugh.

Some people are such hypocrites tho....oh well.

Madam Miaow said...

I'm not saying that suing for 4 billion is the smart way to go about this, BUT ...

Yeah, you can make fun of yourself, and plenty of black comedians laugh at their own idiosyncracies, but someone from the dominant group of a country with a history of racism should be a bit cautious, even sensitive, about ridiculing and diminishing a minority that's historically had the fuzzy end of the lollipop.

I'm not actually aware of that many white people being lynched and discriminated against. I know of plenty of cases where non-white people have been.

It's about who has the power and who doesn't. Do you side with those who have power? Or with those who don't? Personally, I think we should all love and respect each other.

Alternatively, walk through any Chinatown or go into any Chinese restaurant and pull that face and see what happens.

Mrs. M. said...

They do poke fun of white women a great deal in America. They're almost always portrayed as dim witted, needy, baby crazy, weak and utterly incompetent. And don't get me started on how often television and movies make fun of how lame we are. I can't tell you the number of times i've heard some dumb white bitch be all "Yeah, i'm going to bust a move!" followed by a ridiculous chicken dance that of course garners laughs bc that's the white woman-rhythmless and stupid and desperate to fit in.
Don't get me wrong-I am NOT saying that Miley was in the right. I just think what is suing her going to do? She'd be saying sorry and repenting for all the wrong reasons. Not because it came from a geniune place, but as a result of consequence.

Suburbia Steph said...

Shit! Don't even get me started. Everyone needs to get their tight ass PC asses in check and lighten the fuck up! We live in the land of free speech, free expression - whether you agree with it or not, or you feel it's right or wrong.

Madam Miaow said...

Mrs M, if you're saying Ms Kim needs a sense of proportion then I can only agree. It was wrong, Miley apologised and hopefully she's chastened by the whole experience. And everyone can go home having learnt peace and love and that we should respect each other. Demanding a $4 billion payout derails why that was upsetting in the first place and what the argument is about.

But while I may not agree with the way Kim did it, I understand why she's upset and expressed herself the way she felt best in the land of free speech. That photo is a shock — a load of white kids humiliating the Asian guy and every Asian who looks into their spoilt stupid faces. Everyone should lighten the fuck up, give her some slack and the right to free expression whether you agree with it or not, or you feel it's right or wrong.

Here in England we have Essex Girl jokes which rip then piss out of working class white women but which, when you stand back, are actually dissing all women. Which is where the notion of solidarity comes in. And amen to that.

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet