Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hilary Duff to Design for DKNY

Photobucket
While Hilary Duff has had success in the past selling her tween-geared line "Stuff by Duff" at retailers such as Kohls and JC Penney, the actress felt that it was time she started designing a more sophisticated brand for girls her own age. So when she was approached to be the latest sleb to create a limited clothing for DKNY Jeans, the Duffster pounced. Femme for DKNY, which will hit shelves this fall, promises to be a labor of love for Duff who insists she has taken the joint venture very seriously. Suprisingly, it wasn't the design process that Duff found difficult, but rather naming the new brand. "One of the hardest things is to come up with a name." she said. "But I think Femme works really well and explains the line perfectly as feminine but tough all at the same time. It’s aggressive, but in a good way.”
But what would make the Duffster abandon her own line of five years in favor of a merger? “I’ve lost interest in it, and I’m ready to move on and do other things,” she explained. “I feel like the brand was for younger girls, and I want to do things for girls my own age now.” And, unlike her fellow slebs Pete Wentz and Rachel Bilson who have both designed in the past for the brand, HilDuff's line will sell for two seasons-fall and holiday with the option to extend the agreement depending on performance. “From the feedback we’ve gathered from our customers, they wished these collaborations were available to them for a longer period of time,” said Kevin Monogue, president of DKNY Jeans. “They wanted to see more, which is what led us to working with Hilary and making her partnership last longer.”
Personally I like the HilDuff, and am pretty much always willing to give her a chance. But what do you think? Would you buy a Hilary Duff design or non?
Some design sketches

3 comments:

The Lush Ess said...

I'm a Hil fan, too...as I have an 11 year-old daughter who grew up a Lizzie McGuire fan...Imelda (my daughter) has "out-matured" the younger Hil-wear...so I'm all for the move. So far, Hil has maintained an air of "class" that I want my daughter to idolize - rather than the Lindsy losers who give our young girls the wrong message.

Go for it Hilary! I may not buy it for myself (don't know if I'd even fit into it!) but I'd buy it happily for my daughter!

Mrs. M. said...

I agree completely Lush Ess. Hilary has maintained an air of class and dignity. What seperates her from most of her peers is how she moved from tween idol to full fledged adult star without falling into any of the typical traps (such as doing super skanky magazine covers to prove she's hot or what have you) Even if I'm not a bug fan of her movies, I definetly respect her. She's a real lady and a true broad.

Emily said...

I've always loved Hilary Duff, I think she has great personal style! So yes, I would definitely buy from her line. I'm glad she's moving beyond the Disney Channel-era and doing things for herself now. If she is bored, then it is time to move on and I am happy for her!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet