Sunday, March 1, 2009

Obama Makes Medicinal Marijuana Legal!

Photobucket
I mean really legal. True to his word the Prez made good on his promises to legalize it (and not criticize it) during his campaign. Obama’s Attorney General, Eric Holder, announced this week that the Drug Enforcement Administration would end its raids on state-approved marijuana dispensaries. During the Bush administration, the DEA repeatedly ignored the states’ decisions to legalize medical marijuana by raiding distributors. "My attitude is if the science and the doctors suggest that the best palliative care and the way to relieve pain and suffering is medical marijuana, then that’s something I’m open to,” Obama said in November 2007 at a campaign stop in Audubon, Iowa. “There’s no difference between that and morphine when it comes to just giving people relief from pain.”
“What the president said during the campaign … will be consistent with what we will be doing here in law enforcement,” said Holder. “What (Obama) said during the campaign … is now American policy.”
Can I get an amen?!? I am so glad something is finally being done about this because in my eyes there is nothing more cruel than witholding medicine from someone who truely needs it. Sure there is a giant stigma when it comes to the sweet sweet cheeba, but as we all know, just because something is the law (or against the law) does not mean it is the best policy. How law makers can let fellow human beings suffer so greatly from the effects of cancer or chronic painin when there is clearly a treatment to eliminate or lessen their pain is totally beyond me. It's all out cruelty! And while I'm definitely glad that Obama saw this decision through, I'm not at all surprised. He's kept more promises in his few weeks in President than W throughout his entire eight years in office. Having such a shady prez really made us an untrusting and guarded country. But with Obama, I think we can all learn to love again. *sniff, sniff* Now who wants to join me in an accapella version of "Love is Better the Second Time Around"?

2 comments:

ChicChickory said...

I think I am suddenly coming down with Glaucoma. Par-tay!

Mrs. M. said...

My husband has glaucoma. He always gets the old man ailments.

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet