Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Antipodium S/S Collection for RAFW

Photobucket
The florals! The denim! The combats! The Mary Janes! The 90's are back in a big way for better or for worse as clearly illustrated in the Antipodium S/S show held yesterday at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay on day two of Rosemount Australian Fashion Week. For those of us who were teenagers in the 90's, these looks stir up feelings of nostalgia, happiness and also a little of our lunch. Because some of the recycled trends are just gross. For instance there will never be a reason to bring back the floral babydoll dress with a sleeveless jean jacket and Docs. I get the whole mixing femme with homme (believe me, it's my whole shtick). but there are better ways to do it. Think more Marlene Deitrich, less Jennifer Jason Leigh.
However while this Antipodium collection might be slightly too throwback, at least it's interresting. Economic downturn has been the go-to excuse lately for designers to create simple, boring, uninspiring looks. So help me if I see one more goddamn plain black dress with Melanie Griffith Working Girl shoulder pads someone is going to get a busted lip.
Oh, and while I'm at it, enough with the clam digging rolled up jeans! Unless you have lost the ability to see and have no friends or even strangers to look at you, there is no excuse for that monstrosity.
P.S. That girl is wearing stirrup pants. What have I told you about stirrup pants?!? I totally called their comeback. But for once, I am so, so sorry to be right. How I wished I was wrong!










0 comments:

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet