Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cameron Diaz: Defender of the Childless

Photobucket
If you're a woman in Hollywood-or anywhere for that matter-it doesn't really matter how many awards you win, how successful you are, how smart or pretty or accomplished you happen to be. Only two things truely seem to matter-are you married and do you have children. Although notorious bachelors like George Clooney are praised for their untamable ways, ladies like Jennifer Aniston and Cameron Diaz are constantly berated for being past 30, single and childless. Despite the fact that both women seem to have it all, it is often indicated that their lives mean absolutely nothing unless they have fullfilled their lifelong duty of spawning. Cammie D however is not taking it lying down, and is speaking out about the country's obsession with making women feel incomplete without kids.
Diaz told Cosmopolitan magazine: 'I think women are afraid to say that they don't want children because they're going to get shunned. But I think that's changing too now. I have more girlfriends who don't have kids than those that do. And honestly?" she continued "We don't need any more kids. We have plenty of people on this planet.'
On whether she wants children of her own, Diaz said: 'I never say never. I don't know what's going to happen. I could end up adopting half a dozen kids, or I could end up being the next "octomum".'
Personally I think it's fabulous that Cameron is throwing that out there, despite the fact that it probably won't make a damn bit of difference in how the world sees the role of women. We have come so far yet despite the fact that we have the same opportunites that men have, it still only boils down to babies. I can say from experience that particularly as an Army wife, you are expected to breedbreedbreed. Within moments of meeting me, a majority of women ask "Do you have children? When are you going to have children? Why don't you already have children?" as if my uterus is a perfectly acceptable topic of discussion for a first encounter. You don't even know how many times I've wanted to come back with "When the hell are you going to get your college degree? Why don't you already have one? Are you just lazy or stupid?" After all, if they can try to make me feel inadequate because I am not fullfilling my duties as a baby incubator, shouldn't I be able to make them feel inadequate for being less educated? Of course not. Because we all know a woman with an education is like a pen without ink, right? I can't even imagine how ladies that can't have children feel. This society is obsessed with youth, beauty and breeding. And if a woman is barren, they are made to feel like their lives are meaningless. I say fuck society. If George fucking Clooney doesn't have to feel worthless without children, why should I? And why should Cameron D? And why should the millions of other women out there who either can't or don't want to have children? I say go on with your bad ass Cammie D and thanks for giving the middle finger to the archaic sterotype that a woman's uterus is her purpose.

0 comments:

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet