Friday, August 7, 2009

Who That Is?: Kelly Clarkson on the September Cover of Self

Photobucket
I'm confused. The face says Kelly Clarkson, but the body says Britney Spears. What gives Self? I thought the whole point of putting Kelly Clarkson on the cover was to put Kelly Clarkson on the cover-not bits and pieces of the singer. For their part, Self (obviously) acknowledges the photoshopping of monumental proportions, with the mag's editor in chief Lucy Danzieger telling Entertainment Tonight "Yes, of course we do post-production corrections on our images. Kelly Clarkson exudes confidence, and is a great role model for women of all sizes and stages of their life. She works out and is strong and healthy, and our picture shows her confidence and beauty. She literally glows from within. That is the feeling we'd all want to have. We love this cover and we love Kelly Clarkson."
And what better way to tell women it's ok to be the size they are than by slimming down the confident covergirl by nearly half? I mean come on, Self. You're either for all ranges of sizes or you're not. Besides, I can never understand why magazines and movies go to such great lengths to change the way a certain star looks in print. It's not as if we can't use that magical thing called the internet to google their ass and find out that no, Kelly Clarkson isn't a size two. Thankfully though it seems Clarkson is unfazed by the media obsession with her weight, ironically telling Self in this issue that "My happy weight changes. Sometimes I eat more; sometimes I play more. I'll be different sizes all the time. When people talk about my weight, I'm like, 'You seem to have a problem with it; I don't. I'm fine!' I've never felt uncomfortable on the red carpet or anything." Sure she may have a little extra to love, but I think it's clear Kelly's in good shape, what with all the running around and sweating she has to do on stage every night. I mean if we can make covergirls out of ano twigbones who are too weak from all the ciggies, Starbucks and Adderall to even put panties on, I think we can probably let an otherwise healthy unphotoshopped Clarkson on the cover as a model of, at the very least, the picture of mental and psychological health. Sheesh.

0 comments:

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet