Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Look Fabulous At Every Age...Especially When Your Face is Covered in H&FJ Didot


I would like to evaluate this editorial of the lovely Janet (Ms. Jackson if you're nasty) for the lastest issue of Harper's Bazaar but I can't. I just can't. Because I can't get over the font that is slowly attacking her face like a bad virus in a B movie. Honestly their obsessive compulsive nature and serious font abuse has reached new heights. I would suggest they call in a feng-shui expert to come and simplify things but I think we're beyond that. At this point A&E needs to get on the scene and have an intervention because the editors at Harper's are clearly font hoarders.
Other than the cover though Janet looks positively radiant. Especially considering the close scrutiny she and the rest of the Jackson family have been under since Michael's shocking death. In fact, this is the first interview the singer has given since her brother passed last month. In this issue, Janet talks closely with journalist Laura Brown on her emotional heartbreak, Michael's children, and her own desire to be a mom. Here are a few excerpts from the interview:
On her upcoming book: "It was originally about weight loss but I wanted it to be more about my triggers. I can be an emotional eater." Her voice lowers. "Of late, I have been doing that, yes. It started when I was very little. My brothers were gone on tour a lot, and I would miss them so much. Certain things in my life would become triggers. I wish I'd had a book like this when I was that young. People forget that everyone has things going on."
On having children: "Sure, I'd adopt. And I think that if I'm really supposed to have kids, it will happen, if that's God's plan for me." She wouldn't encourage her kids to go into entertainment "unless it was something they really wanted to do. If they knew what they were up against."
What her brother's death has taught her: "I always wanted to have my mother's [Katherine Jackson] strength, but I didn't know if it was really there. But a few years back, something happened and I learned that I did." She fixes you with a keen gaze. "I'm not going to mention it, but we all know what it is. And now, coming off all this, it's even beyond that. I was just focused on my job at that moment within my family." She pauses. "Now at least I know that I can step up to the plate and not crumble when I'm needed. When it comes to something like this that is so, so serious, so painful, so traumatic, I can handle it."
What she wants the world to remember about Michael: "He loved to laugh. The last time we were together, he'd laugh so hard, he would just start crying. Sometimes his humor would be corny, sometimes dry. He loved the Three Stooges, he loved slapstick, he loved Eddie Murphy in his silly comedies. He loved to have fun. He loved to play." If Janet had one more day with her brother (whose nickname for her, incidentally, was Dunk), she would "relive that moment we had when we were kids, do our little run: We'd wake up, feed the animals, spend the entire day together."














Cheap Harper's Bazaar Subscription

2 comments:

Keith said...

Great photos. The cover is awful though. They need to do something about their font.

Mrs. M. said...

I swear that woman has not aged since Rythmn Nation.

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet