Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Slacker Chic of the Week: Winona Ryder


When I was younger, there were three people I wanted to be, in chronological order: Punky Brewster, Paula Abdul and Lydia Deets. Sure Lydia Deets was a fictional character but so what? So is Punky Brewster and if we're being quite honest Paula basically is as well. There was just something about Lydia that I found so cool. Part of it was her goth style, but mostly I adored her because she was strange and unusual. And I myself and strange and unusual (little Beetlejuice reference for you right there). Lydia was smart, reflective, and an individual-all qualities that Winona Ryder, the actress that played Lydia-embodied herself. Yes back in the 90's there was no chick cooler than Winona. Hell even Johnny Depp fell under her spell, going so far as to tatoo "Winona Forever" into his arm. She was never the prettiest girl, the smartest girl, the tallest or the best dressed but it didn't matter because she was Winona, the one and only. She could toss on a t-shirt, run her fingers through her hair, and act neurotic as all get out and yet still men fawned all over her. And why? Because she didn't put on a facade. A glossy veneer that once pulled away revealed a deeply flawed individual. Winona just came out with it and said, "Hey, I'm not perfect. In fact I'm pretty fucked up." When men wanted her, they wanted her for who she truly is, not just some phony, made up personality she adopted simply to please them. She tossed it all out on the table and if you picked it up then she knew you appreciated her for her. Later throughout my teenage years I would watch "Reality Bites" and hope that someday I would have my own Troy Dyer to look at me the same way Ethan Hawke (my favorite actor ever) looked at Winona's character Lelaina. With longing, with lust, with adoration and with wonder that despite knowing this magnificent creature for a majority of his life, he would never unveil all the mysteries that lay behind the dark pools of her eyes. She would never stop learning, never stop growing, and never stop questioning.
The phrase "slacker chic" is a term that I coined to describe the type of style that I prefer. However I would be remiss if I did not give credit to Winona for being original slacker chic. The grandmother of it all. And I'm sure if Winona was here right now to bestow this honor upon, she would humble reply with a sincere, hearty "Fuck You".






Winona Ryder Pictures, Images and Photos

Winona Ryder Pictures, Images and Photos


And just for fun...

8 comments:

Jay Amabile said...

I actually tweeted recently that I think she looks hottest in Mr. Deeds...I know that's odd, but she was also amazing when she hosted SNL. Beetlejuice is one of my favorite movies ever and she and Michael Keaton were great together. That's a classic. Your love for Ryder definitely shows. Nice post! Great pics.

Emiline said...

Awesome choice... I absolutely LOVE her.

Mrs. M. said...

I agree Jay-she did look incredible in Mr. Deeds. That movie got so much flack, but I thought it was cute as all get out. Whenever I'm feeling bummbed I pop that movie in and it always cheers me up.

Ambassador said...

HEATHERS!

Mrs. M. said...

oh my God I cannot believe I forgot to include that. You are so right Ambassador-Heathers was the business!

Keith said...

This is so hard. She made so many movies that I love. I always thought she was so beautiful. I had a huge crush on her back in the day. It's a shame she's basically fallen off the face of the earth.

Mrs. M. said...

She does have a lot of greats to choose from. "Great Balls of Fire" is one of my all time favorites. I'm sure she'll have a big comeback before all is said and done.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael!!! It's a cheesy movie I know, but her most defining role to date. Classic scene:when Dinky (Winona)recites her poetry."You interrupted me." Priceless!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet