Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Slacker Chic of the Week: Adam Lambert


Oh yeah, that's right. When it comes to Slacker Chich of the Week I always like to choose a lady (including transgendered chicas) who represent the type of laid back style and swagger that defines the phrase "slacker chic". However, each year I do leave one slot open for one exceptional guy, and already I am giving this year's special slot away to the one, the only, Adam Lambert.
Now I don't know how you guys feel about the dude, but I love him. Admittedly I did not watch his season of American Idol, therefore I really had no preconceived notions about the man as an artist. However one listen to his freshman c.d. "For Your Entertainment" and I was hooked! Within a week of purchasing it I had listened to the standout songs "Strut", "Fever" and "Sure Fire Winners" (my personal fave) over 50 times each. Honestly I can't remember the last time I have fallen in love with someone's music quite so quickly, but thanks to Adam's incredible vocals (which are reminiscent of the late 80's hair band frontmen) and the hypnotic beats of the tracks I could hardly help myself. Babydoll is incredibly talented, and I really look forward to what he's going to cook up for us in the future.
Another reason that I love Adam is because he is so unappologetic for who he is. The fact that he is just being himself is such a great influence to both younger and older fans alike. Additionally (and I might be wrong here, please correct me if I am) but to my knowledge he's the first American artist to sing songs about dude on dude lovin' just as you might hear a woman typically singing about loving a man. In my opinion he isn't being shocking. Quite the contrary. It's not shocking or in your face, it's just the reality of love and life. And I think it's important for everyone to see gay and lesbian relationships in the exact same manner as straight ones. They fuss, they fight, they break up, they make up, and most likely someone is bitching for their partner to take out the trash and pick their socks up off the floor.
On the other hand, while I admire Adam for bringing the naturalness of gay relationships to middle America, I also applaud his openess about his sexuality. He recognizes that it's fluid and ever changing. Just because he's a gay man doesn't mean there's not a chance that he'd never want to tongue kiss a chick. Nothing is ever black and white-especially when it comes to sex and attraction. And it takes some serious self awareness to know that.
So congrats to Adam! Your hot ass is not only one hell of a musician, but an inspiration to me and many others. May you live long, may you prosper, and may you make "Sure Fire Winners" the next single.
He was born with glitter on his face, his baby clothes made of leather and lace...







adam lambert details Pictures, Images and Photos

12 comments:

Susie F. said...

I loooooooove him too!!! He is amazing! Great choice!! :)

NoAnGel said...

What a beautiful man, inside and out. Looking forward to many years of listening to his amazing music! Thanks for choosing him :)

J said...

Sure Fire Winners, Music Again, FYE, etc. I can't believe this album comes from an Idol alum. It's pretty darn amazing.

Felicia|DaLipstickBandit said...

he certainly is controversial

Mrs. M. said...

thanks you guys-i am so glad you love the choice! And I agree with you J-his album is so polished it's hard to believe it's someone's first release let alone an A.I. alum.

Fashion Wh0re said...

My Mom LOVE him..and since she plays his music every second i've grown to like him too..i Love his For your entertainment song and video..Great Pics

CharlotteC said...

When I listen to the album and try to skip a song, I can't, they are all great. Like you, SURE FIRE WINNERS is my fav, until maybe SOAKED comes on. Anyway, love your kind words and admiration for Adam, he deserves it. He's an incredible entertainer AND person, that's why we love him.

MrJeffery said...

love the tribute and that he is unapologetic. he just seems really nice and is very gifted.

lorenabr said...

LOve the rings:)

LoveLover said...

"Additionally (and I might be wrong here, please correct me if I am) but to my knowledge he's the first American artist to sing songs about dude on dude lovin' just as you might hear a woman typically singing about loving a man."

So far Adam really hasn't released any songs with blatantly gay lyrics, aside from the first line of "Fever". But regardless, he's not the first at all (though he is, arguably, the most mainstream). Jay Brannan, Rufus Wainwright, The Magnetic Fields, Pansy Division and a number of others got there years earlier.

That said I adore Adam personally and professionally, inside and out, and I hope he has a long, happy, and successful life and career and continues to express his love for men in his music and in his life.

ChicChickory said...

I want him for myself...yes, I am selfish like that!

Mrs. M. said...

thanks LoveLover for the correction. i'm not a fan of the musicians you mentioned, but it's cool to know that they were all trying to break barriers long before Adam. That takes some serious courage and balls!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and Buildings by Antoine Mallet